Quality tree pruning improves the health and appearance of trees, prolonging their useful life by removing undesirable branches, whether they are dead, weakened, diseased or insect-infested. Some of the following techniques are used when pruning and performing maintenance on trees:
* Eliminating branches that rub together.
* Removing limbs that interfere with wires, building façades, gutters, roofs, chimneys, or windows, or that obstruct streets or sidewalks.
* Removing dead or weak limbs that pose a hazard or may lead to decay.
* Removing diseased or insect-infected limbs.
* Creating better structure to lessen wind resistance and reduce the potential for storm damage.
* Training young trees.
* Removing limbs damaged by adverse weather conditions.